There are countless career paths to choose from when it comes to the ever-growing field of technology, but which ones pay the best? According to the website PayScale.com, thirteen careers in technology rank as the highest paying in the country. These careers include information technology (IT), engineering, software development, and computer science. If you’re interested in pursuing a career in technology, PayScale’s data can help you identify which path is right for you.
13 Highest Paying Technology Careers
1. Chief Information Officer:
- Chief Information Officers (CIOs) are in high demand in the technology field. According to a recent report by Glassdoor, the 13 highest paying technology careers require at least a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, or a related field. The report found that CIOs earn an average salary of $158,000.
- In order to be successful as a CIO, it is important to have strong leadership and management skills. Additionally, CIOs must be able to navigate complex IT systems and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- If you are interested in pursuing a career as a CIO, it is important to pursue degrees in computer science or related fields at universities around the country. There are numerous certification programs available that will help you gain the skills necessary for success as a CIO.
2. Computer Systems Analyst:
Computer systems analysts are responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining computer systems. They may work on a single project or they may work on a number of projects over the course of their careers. The median salary for computer systems analysts was $91,530 in May 2017. The top three occupations with the highest salaries are software engineers, database administrators, and network architects.
3. Database Administrator:
Database administrators are responsible for ensuring the integrity and security of a database. They also maintain and manage the database’s users, data, and configurations. Database administrators can earn a high income by working in positions such as software engineering or information technology management.
4. Network and Computer Systems Administrator:
- Network and computer systems administrators are in high demand, with some earning over $100,000 per year. There are a variety of jobs to choose from, including network design and management, server administration, software development, security and system administration.
- One of the benefits of having a degree in computer science or a related field is that most employers recognize this training as an advantage and will expect you to have prior experience working with computers.
- A good way to get started in this field is by obtaining certification from recognized agencies such as the International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium (ISC)2 or the National Association of System Administrators (NASM).
- Keep up-to-date with industry trends by reading industry publications and attending conferences that focus on computer systems administration topics.
5. Computer Programmer:
Computer programmers are in high demand and can make a lot of money. They typically work in tech companies and make around $100,000 per year on average.
Some of the highest paying computer programming careers include software engineer, information technology (IT) manager, and web developer.
6. Software Engineer:
In today’s economy, finding a high-paying technology career is easier than ever. According to the 2017 Salary Survey Report by Glassdoor, 13 of the highest paying technology careers are in software engineering. Here are the top three:
- Software engineer – median pay: $113,000
- Database administrator – median pay: $106,000
- Information security analyst – median pay: $105,000
Software engineers design, develop and maintain software applications and systems. They work with clients or customers to create specifications and plans for new software applications or updates to existing ones. They also work on developing new features for existing applications and troubleshooting problems with those applications. In addition to designing software programs, software engineers may also need to know how to use programming languages such as Java or C++.
7. Web Developer:
Web Developer is a popular technology field in which individuals can make an excellent income. According to Indeed, the average pay for a web developer is about $90,000 annually. However, there are many different web developer jobs that pay varying salaries. The top thirteen highest paying technology careers include positions such as front-end and back-end developers, mobile app developers, and DevOps engineers. These careers offer high earning potential and ample opportunity for advancement. Individuals who are interested in pursuing a career in web development should educate themselves on the different types of jobs available and know what skills they need to possess in order to be successful.
8. Computer Hardware Engineer:
Computer hardware engineers design and create the circuits, chips, and systems that make up computer hardware. They work on everything from personal computers to the servers that store our data. The best computer hardware engineers can earn a median salary of $130,000 annually.
9. Electrical Engineer:
Electrical engineers are in high demand due to the growing number of technology jobs. The top 13 highest paying technology careers are listed below. Electrical engineers work on products that range from telecommunications and automotive to medical devices and aerospace.
10. Mechanical Engineer:
- Mechanical engineers design, develop, and maintain machines and equipment used in industrial and commercial settings.
- The highest paying technology careers for mechanical engineers include positions in aerospace engineering, automotive engineering, biomedical engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, industrial engineering, materials science and engineering, and nanotechnology.
- Mechanical engineers must have a strong background in mathematics and scientific principles as well as experience working with various types of machines and tools.
- In order to become a successful mechanical engineer, it is important to have good problem-solving skills as well as the ability to design innovative solutions.
- Mechanical engineers typically undergo a four-year undergraduate degree program followed by a three-year graduate program.
11. Industrial Engineer:
- With the ever-growing technology sector, there is a high demand for industrial engineers. With experience in a variety of industries, industrial engineers are in high demand and can earn a good salary.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the 13 highest paying technology careers include information technology managers, computer systems analysts and designers, software developers, web developers, and telecommunications specialists. All of these careers offer excellent pay and benefits.
- If you are interested in pursuing one of these high-paying technology careers, be sure to have a degree in engineering or a related field. Additionally, be prepared to work hard and learn new skills quickly.
12. Petroleum Engineer:
The petroleum engineer is a highly sought-after technology career. With a median salary of $117,520, this profession offers great potential for financial stability and growth. As the world increasingly relies on technology to function, the demand for petroleum engineers will only increase in the coming years. Here are 13 highest paying technology careers according to PayScale:
- 1Computer Systems Analyst
- median pay: $115,530
- Network Engineer
- median pay: $114,080
- Database Administrator
- median pay: $112,270
- Web Developer median pay: $110,240
- Information Security Manager median pay: $107,290
- Software Engineer median pay: $106,770
- Mobile Application Developer median pay: $104,740
13. Aerospace Engineer:
Aerospace engineers design and oversee the construction of aircraft, spacecraft, and other air-based devices. They work with a variety of materials and manufacturing technologies to create products that meet or exceed customer expectations. The top 13 highest paying technology careers include aerospace engineering. Here are the details:
- Aerospace engineer: median salary of $122,000 per year.
- Mechanical engineer: median salary of $100,000 per year.
- Electrical engineer: median salary of $98,000 per year.
- Computer scientist: median salary of $93,000 per year.
- Software engineer: median salary of $90,000 per year
- Aerospace design engineer: median salary of $87,000 per year
- Manufacturing engineer: median salary of $85,000 per year
In conclusion, there are many high-paying technology careers available for those who are interested in pursuing a career in the technology field. With the right education and experience, you can be on your way to a high-paying job in no time. So if you are looking for a high-paying career that offers plenty of opportunities for growth, then consider one of the careers listed above.