There are a surprising number of home supplies that you may not have considered keeping on hand. While some of these items may not be essential, they can certainly come in handy during a crisis or when you need to make a quick repair. Here are a few of the most unexpected items:
We all know that electrical cords are a necessary evil. We have to have them to power our lamps, televisions, and other electronics, but they can often be a pain to deal with. Thankfully, there are some surprising home supplies that you can keep on hand to make dealing with cords a little bit easier.
One of the best things you can do is keep a stash of zip ties on hand. These little plastic ties can help you bundle cords together so they’re not trailing all over the place. They’re also great for tying down cables that might otherwise be in the way.
Another handy item to have around is a pipe wrap. This is a stretchy tube made of rubber or plastic that you can use to cover cables. It will help protect them from damage and keep them organized.
Duct tape is one of those items that you never know when you might need it. It’s surprising that something so simple can be so versatile. Here are a few examples
- If your window is broken, you can use duct tape to hold the glass together until you can get it fixed.
- If your car battery dies, you can use duct tape to attach the cables together.
- If your zipper breaks, you can use duct tape to hold it together.
- If your shoe heel breaks, you can use duct tape to fix it.
- If your bike chain falls off, you can use duct tape to attach it back on.
You know WD-40 is great for cleaning, lubricating and protecting metal. But what you may not know is that it has a ton of other uses around the house, too! Here are some surprising home supplies to keep on hand:
- Clean your grill – Spray WD-40 on a grill brush, then use it to clean the grates. The WD-40 will help release any stuck-on food or grease.
- Remove stickers – If you need to remove a sticker or label from a surface, spray it with WD-40 and wait a few minutes. The sticker should peel right off.
- Loosen screws – If a screw is tight and won’t budge, spray it with WD-40 and give it a few moments to penetrate.
There are a surprising number of things you might need to buy that use batteries. Here are a few key items to keep in mind:
Remote Controls – Most people don’t think about needing batteries until the remote control dies. Keep a few spares on hand so you’re not stuck without any way to change the channel.
- Most people don’t think about needing batteries until the remote control dies. Keep a few spares on hand so you’re not stuck without any way to change the channel. Toys – From kids’ toys to remote-controlled cars, just about every type of toy uses batteries. Make sure you have some extras on hand so your little ones can keep playing even when their favorite toy runs out of juice.
- From kids’ toys to remote-controlled cars, just about every type of toy uses batteries.
In a power outage, a flashlight is indispensible. But who knew that flashlights could also come in handy around the house for other purposes? Here are some surprising home supplies to keep on hand:
- Flashlights can be used as reading lights. When it’s time for bed and your partner is still reading, shine a flashlight on the book to create a soft light.
- If you’re ever locked out of your house, try using your flashlight to see inside the keyhole.
- If you’re going camping and forget to pack a headlamp, use your flashlight instead.
- If you drop something small and can’t see where it fell, use a flashlight to help find it.
- A bright light can be helpful when cleaning cobwebs or dusting high shelves.
Candles are often seen as a purely decorative item, but they can be so much more than that. Not only do they provide light, but they can also be used to scent a room or to create ambiance. Candles come in a variety of shapes and sizes, so there’s sure to be one that’s perfect for your needs.
Here are some surprising home supplies that you may not have considered using candles for:
- Scenting your home – Candles can be used to scent a room by burning them with scented oils. This is a great way to make your home smell nice without using artificial fragrances.
- Getting rid of pests – Citronella candles are great for getting rid of mosquitoes and other pests. The citronella oil in the candles masks the human scent and keeps the bugs away.
In conclusion, it is important to have certain home supplies on hand in case of an emergency. While some of these items may be surprising, they could come in handy when you need them the most. Be sure to stock up on these supplies, so you are prepared for anything.